a Vanessa V. Kilmer blog - comments disabled

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sight - You were happy.

I saw my daughter after I had just given birth to her and she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and that was the most happy I have ever been in my entire life. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her and I still enjoy watching her.

Smell - You had just finished constructing something.

I had just finished a corset in pure whites for my daughter’s Faire costume. The material smelled clean and fresh and crisp. I smelled very new and rich.

Touch - Life was cheerful.

Sitting in my livingroom at the end of the day on my lounge chair, my husband lying back between my legs, resting his head on my stomach, we talk of the day. He tells me everyday things that become wild Irish tales as I stroke his hair and giggle at his silliness.

Color - Somebody had given you something.

My husband, who rarely buys me cut flowers, brought home a beautiful autumn bouquet for my birthday and our wedding anniversary. The flowers were in deep, silky browns, bright oranges and golden yellows.

Tone - You ate something good.

We were at an Italian restaurant three weeks ago with our German relatives and my parents, my brother and our kids. My husband ordered scallops and shrimp Alfredo. The scallops were buttery and sweet. When I closed my eyes, I heard the buzz of happy talk and close kinship.

External motion - You had a friend.

For several months, my girlfriends and I went roller skating every Wednesday night. I never got used to the sliding, skidding motion I felt as I went around the rink. I always felt anxiety before getting out on the floor. I was sure that I would fall and break an elbow. I never did fall, but the fear never went away. We stopped going when one of my friends had hysterical crying fits every time we met because she was sure her husband was cheating on her while we were skating. The only affair he ever had was with the vodka bottle he finished each night.

Emotion - You felt energetic.

When we were getting ready to move, I felt a surge of energy. Deadlines do that to me, I make up goals just to get things done. I feel very satisfied when I psyche myself into getting things done.

Loudness - Somebody was waiting for you.

The phone rang and rang and rang. How the fuck can I get ready if they are calling me to find out where I am?

Body position - You drove fast.

I have a little Chevy Cavalier with bucket seats and a five speed. I slouch down in the seat, resting my head against the head rest, right wrist lying nonchalantly over the knob of the gear shift and left hand lightly touching the steering wheel. I rock from side to side as I maneuver the curve of the jug handles, squealing tires and going a tad over the speed limit.

Sound - You saw something you liked.

Have you ever seen someone that you felt so attracted to that the rest of the world just kind of fades away? The normal sounds around you get blocked out and a sort of pleasant humming takes over. It washes around you and adds to the tingling feeling vibrating from the tips of your toes to the top of your head.

Weight - You acquired something good.

Someone gave me a crystal ball. She said she had stolen it from a shop she worked in when she lived in California. It is perfectly smooth and clear. When cold, it feels very heavy. The longer I hold it, the lighter it feels.

Personal motion - You threw away something bad.

I carry the little plastic sandwich bags in the chamber on the retractable dog leash. I carry the yellow plastic shopping bag in my left hand. After Cody goes number two, I put one of the sandwich bags on my right hand like a glove and scoop up the poop. I flick open the grocery bag and toss the dog do in. As we finish our walk, I kind of swing the grocery bag in a jaunty manner. When we get home, I slam dunk it in the garbage can.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I found this very emotional. Aside from the doggie do, it left me wanting to know more.

You made me start to reflect. Thank you.