a Vanessa V. Kilmer blog - comments disabled

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Do It, Write! – The Beginning

This will be a writer’s workshop, 
eventually maybe even a writers’ group 
where serious critique can take place.



I want to be a published and paid novelist. I am tired of talking about it. My intention with this project is to assign myself daily, weekly, monthly and yearly assignments that will bring me to a goal I will define using this project. There will be fun things to do along the way, like designing my first book cover to wrap around a book so I can see my first book on a shelf in front of me.

I know that to reach a goal, you define the big picture and then break it down into small increments that will get you there. So that’s what I am going to do here. Join me if you want.

Persistence is the #1 key to getting what you want.

per·sist - verb 


1. to continue steadfastly or firmly in some state, purpose, course of action, or the like, especially in spite of opposition, remonstrance.

2. to last or endure tenaciously



“Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and Determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "Press On", has solved and will always solve the problems of the human race.” - Calvin Coolidge


 Week One: What do I want?

Fun assignment - Notebooks and pens. Find a small notebook that will fit in a purse or pocket. Get felt tip markers that can be used upside down and while half asleep. Start keeping these with me at all times to make assorted notes.

Get a main notebook (paper) for a daily journal. Find a favorite pen that flows easily over the paper. These will be used to loosen up my brain.

Sunday (20100829): Write one sentence about what I want; why I am participating in “Do It, Write!” Be as specific as possible in 25 words or less.

Monday (20100830): Write a list of at least 10 reasons why I haven’t perused or achieved what I want. Using a black marker, scratch out each excuse until I can’t see them anymore.

Tuesday (20100831): Write “I am a …” 10 times based on the sentence from Sunday.

Wednesday (20100901): Write a list of 10 things I am willing to give up to achieve this goal.

Thursday (20100902): Write answers to the 5 question words (who, what, when, where, why) based on the sentence from Sunday.

Friday (20100903): Write a sketch of my daily/weekly schedule as it is now. Can I dedicate one hour a day to achieving my goal? Write a time commitment statement.

Saturday (20100904): Write a commitment statement based on the sentence from Sunday.

Bonus Assignment: Write a paragraph or two of a memory of when I first wanted my dream.



“When we look back, the only things we cherish are those which in some way met our original want; the desire which formed in us in early youth, undirected, and of its own accord.” - Willa Cather


I will be my own life coach. I know what needs to be done. I must do it.


This will be the basic format each week. I will post the week’s assignments on Saturdays. I will post my responses to the assignments here on this blog, daily if I can but definitely by Saturday – no excuses. I will be back later today with my Sunday assignment and the Fun Assignment.

This week is fairly easy since it is the first week and the holiday weekend is coming up.


Write in joy. Write in pain. Do It, Write! (c)




14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Nessa (belting back a woo woo knowing I have to be up at 3 am for work). I take it this is done on the honor system. We don't come back and post anything about the assignments? I could get interested in this but want to make sure I understand exactly what is going on. Blame it on the Woo Woo's K?

Nessa said...

Thom: Woo woo's and work don't mix ;)

You can do this strictly on your honor or you can post the assignments to a blog of your own. If serious participants develop, I am thinking of a shared, private blog where we can share writing for purposes of serious critique (not just the I like comments you get on a regular blog.)

Also, electronic notebooks are perfectly ok. I still do a lot of writing by hand because I love it but your iPhone is an excellent tool.

Brian Miller said...

best of luck with this nessa

Nessa said...

Brian: Thanks.

Doug The Una said...

Good for you and good luck.

PERSIST, v.i. To surrender too late.

Doug The Una said...

You kinda knew I'd have to, right?

Cheryl said...

Wishing you all the best with this Nessa. I have no dream of becoming a writer else I'd join this in a heartbeat.

Claudia said...

great idea nessa - wishing you best luck with this project!

quilly said...

Sunday 08.29.10 assignment:

I will develop and outline a novel plot and create interesting multi-dimensional characters, and then I will write the novel from beginning to end.

You will find my assignments here and under my writings tab on my blog.

PattiKen said...

Best of luck with this, Nessa. I suspect the step you've already taken is the one that will lead to success.

Finding Pam said...

I think attitude is an attribute in completing any project. I look forward to your writing. Good Luck.

Nessa said...

Doug: Thanks. And of course. 

Cheryl: Thank-you.

Claudia: I appreciate your good wishes.

quilly: Well done. Clear and specific. I am going to look for your tab so I know where it is.

PattiKen: I hope so.

Finding Pam: Thanks a lot.

RA said...

Thanks for writing these assignments, Nessa.

Nessa said...

Rosidah Abidin: Your welcome. I hope they help us get what we want.