a Vanessa V. Kilmer blog - comments disabled

Saturday, September 04, 2010

Finally Some Real Writing Work



I have put a page up top that will list the posts that contain each week’s assignments.

I will put up pages of the five (5) most recent weeks’ assignments. These will be rotated out: as the newest week is posted the oldest week will be dropped.



I have read tons of books and blogs on how to write and how to be a writer (my procrastination has no limits.)

The number one piece of advice that all professional writers tell you is that you must write. That’s how you learn. That’s how you get words on paper.

I’ve never had a problem writing. I write every day and every where. The problem for me has been writing towards my stated goal.

The following assignments are derived from Build a Better Story by Hank Quense.

The idea behind the assignments beginning on Tuesday is to create a roadmap of where my story will go.

As Hank Quense says, “Writing the initial draft is the last step in the process, not the first. Think of the manuscript as the roof on a new building. The builder can’t start the roof until the foundation and walls are in place. Similarly, a writer shouldn’t start the manuscript until all of the elements - - foundation and walls - - of the story are finished.” 

This makes sense to me. I suspect many writers do the “foundation and walls” in their heads but many admit to doing these sorts of things on paper.

These assignments look deceptively simple but by doing them my thoughts will be clarified and my story work more focused.


 
Week Two: My Story Basics


* Special Note: Review all of the assignments for the week before beginning.


Fun assignment - Write a list of book or story titles for my publications.


Sunday (20100905): Did I complete all of last week's assignments? If not, why not? What specific things got in the way? How will I prevent or avoid these pitfalls in the future?

Write a statement about one specific writing goal I want to achieve by Saturday, 20100911.


Monday (20100906): Write a statement refuting or debunking each excuse on my list (from Monday, 20100830) of the 10 reasons why I haven’t pursued or achieved what I want. 


Tuesday (20100907): Write my story idea in one very basic sentence.


Wednesday (20100908): Write a brief ending to my story.


Thursday (20100909): Write a one sentence story summary.


Friday (20100910): Write a basic list of the main characters.


Saturday (20100911):  Write a basic plot problem statement.


Bonus Assignment:  Choose a favorite book by an author I admire. Find out how many words the book contains (paperbacks are approximately 250 words per page.) Divide that total word count by 365 (days.) Can I write that many words a day?

2 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

The Quesne quote makes me think of John Irving. He doesn't write until he knows the story. There is story, and there is art. It's a life.

Nessa said...

I think most everyone organizes in some way, it's just that some are more aware of it than others.