a Vanessa V. Kilmer blog - comments disabled

Thursday, February 14, 2013

20130214 - morning

I’m going to do some prompts in the morning so I don’t spend the whole time whining and complaining.

Imagine you opened your own restaurant. Tell the name of your restaurant. Explain what the restaurant looks like, who works there, and what you serve.

I’d like an Irish pub. Small, with booths with windows behind them looking out on a town sidewalk. There would be a bar but no free floating tables, the tables would only be around the walls. It would be open only from noon until eleven. There would be food served until eight pm.

I would call it The Empty Bottle and Crushed Can which is the name of my house’s backyard bar and my basement bar. There would be a wooden plaque painted sign hanging outside over the door. The walls wood be stone and heavy wood beams. The roof would be thatch. The restaurant would have a fireplace on each end. I would encourage acoustic groups and singers to come and practice at my pub. They would get free drinks and food for playing. The lights would be low. There would be some comfortable stuffed chairs around the fire places. Personalized beer mugs would hang behind the bar for patrons who come in all of the time. QV would be the cook and bartender. I would not work there but I would have a table in a back corner where I could watch the people and write. I could watch people come and go and listen to all of the jokes being told by drunks and all of the world fixing and conspiracy theories that drunk people spout in bars. I would hire college students as waiters and waitresses.

We would serve hand cut double fried french fries with a variety of toppings like brown gravy, cheddar cheese, and added toppings like bacon, hot peppers, salsa. There would be chicken fingers, chicken wings, various types of burgers and hot dogs, chili and other homemade soups. The soups would be “a soup of the day” kind of thing. Whatever kind of soup struck QV’s fancy. Since it’s a pub I’m thinking we’d need fish and chips with malt vinegar, too.

I want there to be candles on the tables and oil lamps on the walls. I wasn’t going to mention these because my practical self said it would be dangerous to have candles around drunks but this is fantasy and what I would want so I am not allowing my internal editor audit out the things I want.

I would want my guest to be from all walks of life: elderly couples who live in town, bikers that come for the coziness and calmness of the place, rich people looking for something different and expecting to be treated like everyone else, college students, musicians, artists. I want there to be a big tip jar where people would put money to help support local artists. I would want to include local magicians and witches. People with tattoos and piercings. In other words, I want many people who are so different they're getting along and getting to know each other with all kinds of weird ideas floating around in the air and entertaining me.

536



No comments: